If you are wondering: Why do my drains keep clogging? These 5 tips will help prevent clogged drains from happening. There is never a good time to have a drain clog. Luckily, there are a few common culprits that cause clogged pipes. Being aware of these common culprits and taking preventative measures will help you steer clear of this plumbing issue in the future.
Below are our top 5 tips to prevent clogged drains:
- Only Flush Toilet Paper: Paper towels, wipes, feminine hygiene products, and other paper products are not designed to break down like toilet paper is. These products are common culprits for clogged drains. Other culprits include “flushable” wipes, cat litter, cotton balls, cotton swabs/q-tips, and dental floss or stringy items.
- Don’t Pour Grease Down Sinks: Grease can build up and stick to the inside of your pipes. It’s best to pour grease into a receptacle, such as a jar or can, and dispose of it in the trash can.
- Brush Hair Before Bathing: Hair is a common culprit for clogged drains.One way to prevent hair from building up in your drains is to brush hair before bathing, which removes the majority of loose hairs before they make their way down the drain.
- Use Drain Screens: Drain screens can be applied to both shower drains and sink drains to allow for catching larger pieces of food and debris, as well as hair and bathing products. If you do end up with a clog from hair, baking soda and vinegar help to break it down.
- Compost: While you are catching excess food in your drain screens, you can toss what’s caught into the compost bin. Instead of tossing larger pieces of food into the garbage disposal, you can compost those pieces instead. This could prevent a potential drain blockage, as well as benefit the planet by reusing your food scraps in the garden and landscaping.
However, even when we are diligent in taking preventative measures, there are still times when drains clog. If you find yourself in this situation and are unable to clear the drain, it might be time to reach out to a licensed plumber. If you are located in Central Indiana, Complete Comfort is happy to help you address the issue.
We have been serving the residents of Greenwood, Carmel, Fishers, and Central Indiana for over 20 years and we are dedicated to serving our fellow Hoosiers. If you are located in Central Indiana, we can provide you with a thorough inspection of your HVAC and plumbing equipment, along with an honest opinion regarding the best approach for your home. We also offer an annual 5-star maintenance plan to help keep your systems running smoothly and consistently, no matter the season.
Contact us at Complete Comfort Heating Air & Plumbing in Greenwood, IN, today for more information on heating, air conditioning & plumbing service. Call us at (317) 648-5133.
Brittany is a marketer, entrepreneur, and writer with previous business development experience in the home maintenance industry. She currently manages the marketing for Complete Comfort Heating, Air & Plumbing and has a passion for helping people by simplifying seemingly complicated topics related to home maintenance and repair.